Saturday, July 9, 2011

My View, All In A Days Work

No till corn.
Seeding windrow then corn field and then the strips left to chop

A favorite view...

Little alfalfa plants and some random peas.  This is the start our alfalfa crop for the next 3 years

It is easy to see how the seeding is planted in rows.  I love the patterns created in our fields as the seasons go on. One windrow to go.....nice : )

This is one of my favorite views from the back corner of our farm.
Bruce sharpened the chopper this morning and washed the tractor windows so we could finish chopping seeding.  Later in the day yesterday it was impossible to see what I was doing with the dirt on the windows and the suns glare.  I did plenty of chopping guaged by the sounds of the chopper and plain old experience, so today it was wonderful to actually see what I was doing and also enjoy my favorite views.  We did 45 acres in two days which is definitely more like what we are used to.  Today's chopping was a bit more stressful since there were more stones and more ditches.  Seeding ground is always tilled so its looser and more easily moved.  The excess heavy rains we had this spring, along with the fact that these fields were some of the steepest on our farm, set us up for ditches happening even with our best efforts.  On a few areas in these fields I am always in fear of tipping a chopper box over.  Bruce claims it won't happen, and I recite that to myself over and over as I go through the areas that make me nervous. Thankfully, so far, he has been right. I ran plenty of stones through the chopper today.  We do need to get them picked up now that the stubble is short enough to see them easily.  Normally they would have gotten picked up after planting, but of course there was nothing normal about this spring.  Stones rarely do much serious damage but they do break sections in the haybine that have to be replaced and make the knives in the chopper dull and make a lot of noise. In the process of cutting this area Ed had to fix sections 4 times.  I try as best I can to avoid the ones I can see but it is the ones under the windrows that cause the most problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment